Today marks the start of Memorial Day weekend, a time when we pay special tribute to our nation’s heroes and those who’ve lost their lives serving our country. This year, the national holiday carries added weight as we honor our nation’s frontline workers, who are risking their lives daily during the COVID-19 pandemic—which has taken nearly 100,000 American lives thus far.
While many of us are adjusting how we’ll celebrate the occasion given the ongoing public health crisis, there are still many ways you can celebrate Monday’s holiday with your friends, family and neighbors, from the comfort of your home.
- Tonight at 7:30 pm CT, head over to @LevittShell’s Facebook page to experience the soothing folk sounds of mother-and-son duo Madisen Ward & The Mama Bear. Relive the fun of their 2019 performance at the iconic Levitt Shell in Memphis, by catching tonight’s rebroadcast, streaming as part of the Orion Virtual Concert Music Series.
- Tomorrow at 7pm CT, visit the Levitt Shell Sioux Falls Facebook page for an exclusive Levitt in Your Living Room interview with Austin blues guitarist Jackie Venson, featuring some of her favorite concert footage, new home studio recordings and more!
- This Sunday, May 24, at 8 pm ET, sit back, relax and tune into the National Memorial Day Concert, hosted by PBS. 2020 performers include Trace Adkins, the National Symphony Orchestra, CeCe Winans and more.
- Pay your respects to those who’ve served with a simple, but meaningful gesture. Donate to Memorial Day Flowers, an organization that places flower tributes at the headstones of fallen soldiers.
- Honor military voices and experiences by heading over to Storycorps and listening to “Military Voices Initiative” stories of active military members, veterans and their families. Learn about their proudest and most challenging memories. While you’re there, be sure to check out the new collection of stories about “Civic Duty and Connection in the Days of COVID-19,” featuring stories of courageous frontline workers serving their communities.
- Tap into your creative side this weekend. Gather your loved ones and embrace your patriotic spirit with stylish DIY #MemorialDay decorations. From a wreath made of American flags to patriotic bouquet holders, these decorations will make this holiday one to remember. If you’re looking for inspiration, this Pinterest page has you covered.
- Missing Memorial Day parades? Make your own! Coordinate with your neighbors and arrange a Memorial Day caravan. Decorate your vehicles with patriotic signs of support and bring holiday joy to neighbors throughout your community.
- Host a video party with friends and family in lieu of the traditional Memorial Day barbecue. Invite those you would normally spend the holiday with to a fun-packed, virtual experience. From virtual games to shared playlists, here are some suggestions to help make your video party fun and memorable. Connect and keep the tradition going.
- Express your appreciation for frontline workers and veterans with delicious homemade treats. We especially love these Memorial Day desserts for inspiration.
While the celebratory traditions of Memorial Day will be different this year, there are still many ways we can preserve the unifying spirit of this holiday. Share your love and respect for those who have served, and continue to serve, and celebrate responsibly. Happy Memorial Day!