Keith Grimwood and Ezra Idlet are no strangers to Levitt stages.
As Trout Fishing in America (TFIA), the duo has performed at Levitt Arlington (2013, 2010), Levitt Shell Memphis (2011) and Levitt Westport (2011), and they’ll be adding Levitt SteelStacks to the list when they bring their family-friendly folk-rock show to the Lehigh Valley this Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
Get to know the band before they take the stage with some fun TFIA trivia!
Did you know?
- At 6’8,” Idlet towers over Grimwood’s 5’5.5.”
The differences don’t stop there: Idlet left a junior college basketball scholarship to pursue his love of music, while Grimwood has been playing music professionally since his teens. They met in the ‘70s as members of since-dissolved Houston folk-rock band St. Elmo’s Fire.
- They named themselves after the Richard Brautigan novel—for different reasons.
Idlet loves Brautigan’s writing; Grimwood loves fishing. Several of their 21 albums, like 1990’s Truth Is Stranger than Fishin, feature references to their band name.
- The band has been nominated for four GRAMMY awards.
2001’s inFINity, 2004’s Merry Fishes to All, 2006’s My Best Day and 2008’s Big Round World were each nominated in the category of Best Musical Album for Children. They’ve also received several Parents Choice and American Library Association Awards.
- Their two children’s book-CD sets have made one of Grimwood’s cats famous.
My Name is Chicken Joe and Chicken Joe Forgets Something Important feature Chicken Joe the cat (who “sleeps with the chickens when the weather gets cold”) and fellow peculiarly named friends Miss Kitty the dog, King Kong the parrot and Mister the mule.
- They make music for all ages. While NPR has called them “the Lennon and McCartney of kids’ music,” they also write songs for adults, incorporating elements of blues, soul and jazz as well as their signature brand of insightful humor.
Look forward to a free, family-friendly show that’s fun for all ages this Saturday at Levitt SteelStacks at 7:30 p.m.! Also check out the other free shows happening in Anchorage, Arlington, Denison and Memphis this weekend. Be sure to check with your local Levitt for the latest concert info, including updates due to weather.