This week the Spotlight Series continues with the genre-busting violin/vocalist duo, Sons of Mystro—who launch the 2019 Levitt AMP Ocala Music Series tonight with their lively mix of classical, reggae, hip-hop and more! To gear up for tonight’s show, we’re bringing you 10 fun facts about this eclectic power duo!
- Sons of Mystro is comprised of singing/violin-playing brothers, Malcolm McNeish (age 23) and Umoja McNeish (age 20).
- Born to a Jamaican father and Barbadian mother in South Florida, the brothers’ genre-bending music weaves in Caribbean influences.
- The duo made an appearance in a music video for 2015 Levitt National Tour artist Black Violin—another genre-busting, string instrument-playing pair from South Florida, who has served as a source of inspiration, support and mentorship for Sons of Mystro.
- Already making waves in the global music scene, Sons of Mystro were awarded the “Emerging Artist Under 21 Award” at the International Reggae and World Music Awards.
- They have performed at a ‘Keys To The City’ ceremony honoring Wyclef Jean.
- The duo has delighted fans at seven Miami Heat halftime shows.
- They’ve contributed music to an episode of Kourtney and Kim Take Miami, starring the Kardashian sisters.
- In addition to performing, the brothers aspire to give back to their community by teaching and influencing young musicians.
- Tonight’s show will be the first of two Levitt AMP Music Series performances for the duo—they’ll head to Levitt AMP Utica in upstate New York later in the summer!
- Their eclectic musical fusion was featured at TedX Youth in Miami. Check out the video below!
Stayed tuned for next week’s artist as part of our 2019 Spotlight Series!